Energy is of great importance today, bringing energy efficiency and sustainability to the forefront, and extensive studies are carried out on these subjects.
The concept of sustainability was first defined in 1987 as “process of meeting the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs”. This refers to the conscious consumption of energy sources, the efficient use of renewable energy resources, the necessity of environmentally friendly approaches, as well as the necessity of intergenerational energy use balance without consuming the energy required for future generations today.
Energy Efficiency was defined as “reducing the energy consumption without reducing the living standard and service quality in buildings, as well as the quality and amount of energy generation in industrial enterprises”. This refers to using less energy to perform to the same work. Energy efficiency becomes even more important when examined together with the topics of human health, environment and economy.
Lighting, accounting for a large part of energy consumption, is of great importance in reducing energy consumption and ensuring sustainability through energy efficiency studies. Energy consumption for lighting is distributed 28% to the residential sector, 48% to the service sector, 16% to the industrial sector, and 8% to street lighting. Thus, the use of technologically advanced Daylighting Systems in the interiors of buildings makes a great contribution to the energy consumption in the buildings.
Natural Daylighting and its Advantages
Daylighting means the illumination of a place with natural lighting by maximum utilization of sun at daylight hours- from sunrise to sunset-, and makes a great contribution to minimization of energy consumption caused by artificial lighting. Analyses performed at places illuminated with natural daylighting clearly demonstrate the effects of natural lighting on people.
1. It provides Energy Saving, Energy Efficiency and Sustainability;
Natural Daylighting contributes to illumination at daylight hours even without sun. This means that artificial lighting is closed for about 6-10 hours a day. For example, if Natural Daylighting is used in a place where 30 bulbs with a power of 40 watts are used for 8 hours a day, a total of 9.6 kW of energy is saved per day, 288 kW per month and 3,456 kW per year. However, CO2 emissions caused by fossil fuels used in electricity generation will also decrease in direct proportion with the reduction in energy consumption. Energy saving means less electricity generation and less fossil fuel use.
CO2 trading, that is already implemented in Europe and will be implemented in our country soon, has become very important. Shortly, if a company produces less than its allowance, it can sell its remaining emissions allowance to any other company or state that produces more than its allowance. In Europe, 1 tonne of CO2 equals to 1 credit and costs 24 euro. Energy saving by lighting will significantly reduce CO2 emission.
2. It Reduces Cooling Burden with Cold Lighting;
Artificial lighting fixtures create a heat load in the environment in which they are used. Thus, the need of cooling increases due to the heat generated in the place. Then, air-conditioning units run excessively, causing energy consumption.
Heat load does not occur at places illuminated with cold lighting. This means that air-conditioning systems run less often, providing energy-saving.
3. It Creates Positive Psychological and Physiological Effects on People;
Daylight is the basic requirement of life. Studies show that people who spend time in places illuminated with Natural Daylight experience less health problems such as depression, sleep disorders, nervousness and stress. It has been also observed that people who are exposed to daylight have more happiness hormones such as serotonin and endorphin, and are more likely not to have psychological problems.
4. It Increases the Performance of Office Staff;
It has been observed that the performance of office staff increased by 15-20%, the visiting time was shortened, and the personnel was psychologically more comfortable and showed more success. This eventually returns as a financial gain to the company where the personnel work.
5. It Increases the Success Rate of Students in Schools;
The tests performed on a total of 21,000 students in 3 schools in California, Washington and Colorado showed that the success rate of the students at classrooms illuminated with Natural Daylight increased by 10-20% in mathematical tests and by 18-26% in reading. The analyses also revealed that the students could focus more easily and for longer time, and were psychologically more comfortable.
6. It Increases Sales Rates in the Service Sector;
It was observed that the sales rates increased in the retail sales sector. The analyses performed at a shopping center in USA showed that the sales rate of a store illuminated with Natural Daylight increased by 28% compared to 11 stores illuminated with artificial lighting.
7. It Improves Quality in Industry and Industrial Facilities;
The workers at industrial facilities illuminated with Natural Daylight showed more attention, and thus their error and accident rates reduced, resulting in increased productivity and efficiency as well as financial gain.
Tubular Daylighting System
Tubular Daylighting System is a technological system that emits Daylight from the outer environment in a controlled manner and transmits it to interior spaces, providing comfortable lighting by turning the disadvantages of daylight into advantages thanks to its structure. It has many advantages compared to other natural lighting solutions such as yellowing resistance, ability to prevent heat gain, UV resistance, having no greenhouse effect, having a simple structure and very low operational costs.
Energy is the most important issue and problem of today as well as energy resources decrease with consumption, while the prices increase accordingly, which makes it compulsory for us to use renewable and infinite energy resources. Especially in lighting, which accounts for a large part of energy consumption in the world, it is our responsibility to turn to Natural Daylighting for our today and future.
Being aware of this responsibility, FORM Endüstri Tesisleri produced the Turkey’s first domestic Tubular Natural Daylighting System at its plant in Ankara.
Thus, the imported systems with high cost and thus long recycling times have been replaced by the first domestic product, SUNVIA Tubular Natural Daylighting System produced by Form Endüstri Tesisleri, making contribution to the national economy as well as meeting the end user at a lower cost. Thus, the advantages of daylight are benefited as well as energy-saving is provided and recycling time is reduced to an acceptable level. Sunvia Daylighting System is preferred at any area where illumination is needed such as shopping centers, factories, offices, warehouses and individual usage areas.
• Special dome installed at outdoor environment emits the daylight during the day (from sunrise to sunset).
• The system comes with a reflective tube that highly reflects the daylight passing inside it. The light inside this tube reflects a certain number of times.
• The lens, as the outlet of the system, homogeneously distributes the light from the tube to the place to be illuminated.
The system consists of 3 main parts.
1. Acrylic Dome; it is the outside part of the system. It is made of a special material that emits daylight, has high strength and yellowing resistance, and high light permeability. The dome with a wall thickness of 5 mm has a light permeability of 95% and a thermal conductivity coefficient of 5.1 W/m2C. It has impact strength of 12 Kj/m2, and is resistant to different types of precipitation as well as hard impacts.
2. Reflective Pipe; Natural daylight that enters into the system from the dome reaches the UV-resistant tube, which is made of silver-aluminum alloy and reflects 99% of light. Daylight moves forward in this tube that works based on the principle of reflecting light on reflective surfaces. The tubes with a standard length of 125 cm and 60 cm can be adjusted according to the height of installation place.
3. Lens (Diffuser); It is the outlet of the system, and provides homogeneous light distribution in the place to be illuminated. It has a high light permeability. It features good insulation against electrostatic charges. SUNVIA lenses are highly resistant to UV radiation and can be used for many years under the sun. It has different options with prismatic and linear surface structure, what can be selected according to the desired light distribution in the place. Square and round lenses can be used so that they can adapt to the architectural structure.
The system’s performance depends on the brightness of the outdoor environment. It has a high performance in a sunny weather.
The height of the place, the direction of area where acrylic dome is to be installed, and the length of reflective tube used in the system directly affects the system’s performance. The direction of dome, which is generally mounted on roof (it can be mounted on facade or garden depending on the situation), should be selected so that it can well emit daylight during the time from sunrise to sunset (south facade is good) and there is no building, tree etc. around it which may prevent daylight. The correct determination of dome direction and installation location will increase the light efficiency.
SUNVIA Tubular Daylighting System has different models and additional accessories to offer solutions to different user groups.
- • Methods for Utilizing Daylight in Buildings Modern Techniques
- • Lighting at Workplaces
- • Design of Tubular Natural Daylighting Systems and its Applicability in Iskenderun Region
- • 70% Energy-Saving with Sunvia Daylighting System
- • Sunviatube Thermal Conductivity Coefficient Test Report
- • Installation and Mounting Manual
- • Frequently Asked Questions
- • Process and Benefit Analysis